A lot of us gardeners go into hibernation for the winter, and all the gardening tasks we left for the winter when we would “have more time” fly out the window. But let’s do it differently this winter. Let’s actually catch up on all the maintenance that took the back seat during the rush of the growing season and get a head-start on the planning for next season. Here’s a checklist to help keep you on track!
Winter Gardening Checklist
- Start a kitchen garden diary
- Draw a garden plan
- Order seeds
- Clean gardening tools
- Monitor your garden for wet spots and drainage issues
- Turn your compost heaps to keep them active
- Continue mulching the soil
- Cover weeds with cardboard
- Winter pruning (early in the season)
- Fix pathways
- Surround containers with insulation
- Plant and maintain cover crops
- Mix in soil amendments
The garden might slow down during winter, but it never stops. Neither should you.